Have You Been Pitch Slapped Yet? : The Complete List of Songs in Pitch Perfect19
“What helps offset the predictable in this very predictable movie is a series of show-stopping numbers, so props to the folks who oversaw music and choreography.” - Betsy Sharkey, Los Angeles Times Film Critic
Full disclosure to anyone reading this, I myself helped out on this film for just under half of the process; my boss is one of those “folks who oversaw music.”
It doesn’t take a member of the music industry, though, to appreciate how much work went into the musical aspects of Pitch Perfect. Julia Michels and Julianne Jordan were the executive music producers of the film – responsible for working with the director on music selection, overseeing all the a cappella arrangements, music clearance, both pre-recording and vocal sessions during post-production, facilitating the creation of the three recorded mashups in the film, playing vital roles in the creation of the soundtrack and so much more.
Watch an interview these two powerhouse ladies did with The Weekly Comet a few weeks ago (interview begins at about 8:00):
Those who have purchased the soundtrack will notice that it is almost entirely comprised of the a cappella tracks in the film. While these are all of course stellar, the many tunes that didn’t make it onto the record are equally top notch.
That said, here is a full list of all the tracks used in the movie. I was going to put scene descriptions too, but instead just included a few points of reference for some of the tracks. I don’t want to spoil the movie – go see it for yourself!
Some of the songs are used a few times – I only included a song multiple times if it was used in different ways (i.e. by itself and then in a mashup).
Score was composed by Christophe Beck and Mark Kilian.
And there were of course a myriad of others who stayed up late nights putting their blood, sweat and tears into this little film that could, just in terms of the music alone. I won’t list them out here, for fear of accidentally forgetting someone – but if you enjoy the film and have some time – try and stick it out until the end of the credits and give them a round of applause. They deserve it.
1. “Don’t Stop The Music” – Rihanna (A Cappella)
2. “The Sign” – Ace of Base (A Cappella)
3. Mashup of “212″ by Azealia Banks and “Bust A Move” by Young MC
4. “Carry On My Wayward Son” – Kansas (Sung by Jesse)
5. “Let It Whip” – The Dazz Band (A Cappella)
6. “Punching In A Dream” – The Naked and Famous
7. “Keep You” – Wild Belle
8. “Don’t Move” – Phantogram
9. Mashup of “Titanium” by David Guetta feat. Sia and “I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)” by The Proclaimers
10. ”Titanium” – David Guetta feat. Sia (Sung by Beca and Chloe in the shower)
11. “Since U Been Gone” – Kelly Clarkson (A Cappella)
12. “Cups” (Watch Anna Kendrick perform this on Letterman!)
13. “Before We Fall In Love” – Damato
14. “Keep Your Head Up” – Andy Grammer (Sung by the aca-initiates)
15. “Starships” – Nicki Minaj
16. “Turn The Beat Around (Love To Hear Percussion)” – Gloria Estefan (A Cappella)
17. “Rome” – Yeasayer
18. The Riff Off – Ladies Of The 80′s – “Mickey” by Toni Basil, “Like A Virgin” by Madonna, “Hit Me With Your Best Shot” by Pat Benatar, and “It Must Have Been Love” by Roxette (All A Cappella)
19. The Riff Off – Songs About Sex – “S&M” by Rihanna, “Let’s Talk About Sex” by Salt ‘N Pepa, “I’ll Make Love To You” by Boyz II Men, “Feels Like The First Time” by Foreigner and “No Diggity” by Blackstreet (All A Cappella)
20. Mashup of “Bulletproof” by La Roux and “Release Me” by Agnes
21. “Don’t You Forget About Me” – Simple Minds
22. “F**k You” – Lily Allen (A Cappella)
23. Bellas Regionals – “The Sign” by Ace of Base, “Eternal Flame” by The Bangles and “Turn The Beat Around (Love To Hear Percussion)” by Glora Estefan (A Cappella)
24. “Right Round” – Flo Rida (A Cappella)
25. “Booty Wurk (One Cheek At A Time)” – T-Pain (A Cappella)
26. “Party In The USA” – Miley Cyrus (A Cappella)
27. “Blame It On The Boogie” – The Jacksons (A Cappella)
28. Mashup of “The Sign” by Ace of Base and “Bulletproof” by La Roux (A Cappella)
29. “Open Season” – High Highs
30. “Get You Off” – Stan Carrizosa
31. “Chelsea Dagger” – The Fratellis
32. Mashup of “Just The Way You Are” by Bruno Mars and “Just A Dream” by Nelly (A Cappella)
33. “Final Countdown” – Europe (A Cappella)
34. Treblemakers Finals – “Bright Lights Bigger City” by Cee Lo Green and “Magic” by B.o.B. (A Cappella)
35. Bellas Finals – Mashup of “Price Tag” by Jessie J, “Don’t You Forget About Me” by Simple Minds, “Give Me Everything” by Pitbull, “Just The Way You Are” by Bruno Mars, “Party In The USA” by Miley Cyrus and “Turn The Beat Around (Love To Hear Percussion)” by Gloria Estefan (A Cappella)
36. “We Came To Smash (In A Black Tuxedo)” – Martin Solveig feat. DevTags: a cappella, Anna Kendrick, Julia Michels, Julianne Jordan, list, music supervision, Pitch Perfect, soundtrack, Universal Pictures, Weekly Comet