By Amanda DK
The Avett Brothers have a very special place in my heart.
I’ll admit, for most of my collegiate first few post-grad years, when I first moved to Los Angeles, my musical knowledge was very limited. It wasn’t because I didn’t love music, I just viewed the world of music much like I still do Sephora: vast and overwhelming. I didn’t know where to start.
When I first started dating my current boyfriend, one of the first artists I remember hearing in his car was The Avett Brothers. It was right around when I And Love And You came out, and I was transfixed. I listened to it so much that I was actually able to learn the words to most of the songs (something I am terrible at). This was the kind of music I liked.
If you’re an LA denizen and you haven’t heard of Mystery Claws, you will soon. Comprised of rockers Julia Bembenek and Matt Kivel (Princeton) and featuring drummer Stella Mozgawa (Warpaint), the band’s first single, “Flashlights” premiered on Stereogum late April and now their debut album Hydaspia (on Easter Everywhere Records) is on the market.
In the spirit of the season, band member Julia Bembenek was kind enough to throw together a BBQ mixtape for Tadpole Audio. I grabbed a meal with her a few days before their kickin’ record release party this past weekend at Pehrspace to chat about it…
When you love someone like awesome what head-over-heels, heart-warming-and-breaking songs do you listen to?
1. Death Cab For Cutie “I Will Follow You Into The Dark” ♫ http://twt.fm/374884
2. Ben Folds “The Luckiest” ♫ http://twt.fm/374897
3. The Avett Brothers “January Wedding” ♫ http://twt.fm/374908
4. Kevin Devine “A Billion Bees” http://bit.ly/dnM5RD
5. One Eskimo “Amazing” ♫ http://twt.fm/374948
6. Common “The Light” ♫ http://twt.fm/374966
7. Ray LaMontagne “You Are The Best Thing” ♫ http://twt.fm/374972
8. Elliott Smith “Angel In the Snow” http://twt.fm/374891
9. The Guggenheim Grotto “Sunshine Makes Me High” ♫ http://twt.fm/374997
10. Blur “No Distance Left To Run” ♫ http://twt.fm/375008
11. Feist “The Park” ♫ http://twt.fm/375006
12. Arcade Fire “My Body is a Cage” ♫ http://twt.fm/375009
13. O+S “Lonely Ghosts” ♫ http://twt.fm/375012
14. “Such Great Heights” as covered by Iron & Wine
15. Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros “Home” ♫ http://twt.fm/375023