If you get that reference you win a prize.
To tell you the truth it’s hard to make a dance playlist. I know plenty of people who hear dance and immediately think of deadmau5, MSTRKRFT, Tiesto, Paul Van Dyk and so forth. I also know people who will prefer Guns ‘N Roses, Journey, Prince or ‘N SYNC every time. I fall somewhere in the middle (though admittedly closer to Britney Spears than Bassnectar). And I didn’t even talk about the people who are all about Kudi Cudi, Rihanna or Drake. Different backgrounds, places and decades – everyone grooves to something different. Because of this I thought I would do a comparison between the top 10 best dance songs of all time (according to a Slant Magazine article published in 2006)…
1. Donna Summer, “I Feel Love” (1977)
2. Deee-Lite, “Groove Is in the Heart” (1990)
3. Madonna, “Vogue” (1990)
4. Diana Ross, “Love Hangover” (1976)
5. Clivillés & Cole, “A Deeper Love” (1991)
6. Machine, “There But for the Grace of God Go I” (1979)
7. Lil’ Louis, “French Kiss” (1987)
8. Thelma Houston, “Don’t Leave Me This Way” (1976)
9. Zhané, “Hey Mr. DJ” (1993)
10. Donna Summer, “Love to Love You Baby” (1975)
Followed by the top 10 of the most current Billboard …
1. Rihanna “Rude Boy”
2. Charice feat. Jay-Z “Pyramid”
3. Delerium feat. Kreesha Turner “Dust In Gravity”
4. The Black Eyes Peas “Imma Be”
5. Debi Nova “Drummer Boy”
6. Mary J. Blige “I Am”
7. Goldfrapp “Rocket”
8. Beyonce Feat. Lady Gaga “Video Phone”
9. Bimbo Jones “Freeze”
10. Taio Cruz Feat. Ludacris “Break Your Heart”
Later on the list are The Temper Trap, Blake Lewis and Macy Gray. An American Idol contestant and Ludacris only 5 spots away from each other on the same list. That’s the power of dance!
The fabulous VV Brown is rocking the Troubadour TONIGHT with Darrelle London. Get your tickets and go!
Get your tickets for Dragonette at the Echo just before Memorial Day on May 26 with White Arrows – who also have a fantastic video interview up on Serious Stache.
And Pitchfork darlings Delorean with Wait. Think. Fast at the Echo on June 11. Tickets here.
Video this week from cute-as-a-button French DJ, Yelle. Love her music, but mostly love her affinity for crazy colors. An excellent performer as well (thanks again, Wonderworks!).